Friday night - Late at work. Wrap up work. Thank the lord! Check weekend forecast. Sigh..yet another rainy, cloudy, gloomy weekend.
Saturday morning. In bed. Sun peeps through window. What do you do? Jump out, open all the windows, dance(..sorta..) in your PJs!
Sometimes I love it when these weather forecasts are proven wrong. Easter weekend had a similar story. This weekend was another pleasant surprise.
After days of grey, today anything bright and colourful had such a calming affect on me. Spring is here. Let us celebrate.
Did I tell you I have bought dozens of new silicone moulds? Today was the perfect day to do justice to them. The cupcakes themselves are pretty basic. I refrigerated the batter for an hour while I went out for some grocery shopping - hence the domes.
Cupcakes for Spring
Here is the recipe (from the joyofbaking.com)
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (130 grams) granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 large lemon (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Brush your muffin tin with butter or line them with cupcake liners. I used silicone moulds.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
Checkout my latest post : Win a $100 giveaway and a chance to win a Kitchen Aid standmixer!