Sunday, June 28, 2009

Blueberry cake


The farmers markets in summer are such a riot of colours! Just walking past it inspires me to make all kinds of fruit compotes, berry muffins, sangrias, mojitos and ratatouille. Wow! I love summer - well, who doesn't!

So I picked up some blueberries - they have to be my favourite berry - they aren't too tart and go excellent in any dessert. I am thinking cheesecake, muffins, pies, cobblers, shortcakes ... quite an endless and mouthwatering list.
Since berries have a very short shelf life, I decided to use them up in a cake while they are at their best. Sure you could use frozen blueberries too - just remember to thaw them. So herez how its made.




2 cups flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(Since we don't get vanilla extract, I used vanilla beans this time. Usually I use vanilla sugar)
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup blueberries
I don't use a mixer for this recipe, so its important to whip the egg nicely, and sift the dry ingredients. Mix the wet and the dry ingredients, and then gently fold in the blueberries. Pour to a greased cake tin, or better a silicon one. Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes. Do the usual test - if a toothpick comes out clean you're done. They are great when served straight from the oven, and had with coffee. Share

2 comments:

  1. Amazing blog. Wow! Mind blowing pictures! I became instant fan the moment I set eyes on your blog. I love blueberries. I will surely try your recipes and will let you know. Hope you visit my blog and give your comments. Thanks for the invite to visit your blog. Its a pleasure viewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete